Hi Laszlo !

>The idea is that I have an application on the embedded system
>where the user can configure the ntp peer. The application would
>then re-run and also enable the ntp daemon from busybox if it is
>not yet done so.

All that is not part of Busybox. So you are free to put this to
your distro.

>I think the standard way to do it would be to use initscripts
>(sysv or systemd). It is not a problem to run busybox's ntpd
>with the right command line parameters on the fly, but
>automatically on boot, it is getting a bit more important if you
>know what I mean.

The only difficulty at boot time I know is the order of startup.
ntpd may only be activated when network is up.

>It would be basically consistent with several other applets,
>namely:

But all those applets do need more configuration. ntpd needs so
less info, all can be given on command line. And if there is a
config file feature, next cry will be, how to reload config when
things change? So either you need to watch modification time of
config file or handle any signals ... much code to handle this
all. So do we really need a configuration file option for ntpd
just to select the peer? It's so easy to put this in init
scripts, to stop and restart ntpd.

>... etc. As for Zoltan, yes, I understood, and that is why I also
>mentioned he would be doing it in buildroot, which is somewhat
>similar to Yocto, but not quite. :) The point is that ntpd could
>be run from initscripts with a config file dedicated for it, but
>perhaps there are better solutions for this out there?

Sorry, I'm not sure, if I'm able to follow your intention.

My intention is to keep things small, so if you are going to add
config file support for ntpd, make it at least a build time
configurable option (as I think syslogd did). So things won't
change or add any extra code, when you do not enable ntpd config
file support. This is my personal opinion, so lets here what
others mean.

--
Harald