On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Harald Becker <ra...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Dallas !
>
> > I am using an older version of busybox (1.7.0) with a newer linux
> > kernel (3.10) and trying to get it to discover and dynamically create >
> usb device nodes underneath /dev/bus/usb.  This doesn't seem to work > when
> I execute mdev with the -s option.
>
> And were is the rest of your setup? What matching entries in
> /etc/mdev.conf belong to your concern?
>
>  Can someone please tell me if this capability is supported in newer
>> versions of busybox?
>>

> mdev -s scans the sys file system for devices and setup the /dev entries.
> If you want dynamic setup you should use the hotplug feature, but the
> device node handling of both depend on the entries in /etc/mdev.conf. So
> what happens and when, what is wrong in your eyes? May be you just need to
> enter your correct device setup.
>
> --
> Harald

Hi Harald, I was sort of expecting a mdev scan to discover and create
device nodes for usb.  Sounds like I need some rules defined in
/etc/mdev.conf.  I just have a default one.

In the meantime, I have been dynamically adding / removing the usb device
nodes triggered off of hotplug events.  Seems to be working fine so far.