Hello.

I'm willing to create/delete symlinks in /dev/disk/by-uuid and /dev/disk/by-label . For this, I've written a script and added the following lines to /etc/mdev.conf:
sd[a-z][0-9]*   root:disk 660 */sbin/mdev-disk
hd[a-z][0-9]*   root:disk 660 */sbin/mdev-disk

    Note that I use /dev/mdev.seq to serialize events.

Is there a means for my script mdev-disk to determine if the device is being inserted or extracted? For example it would be easy if mdev provided the uevent's action (add, remove)

My current trick is to create links when they don't exist and delete them when they exist, but it's far from rock-solid.

    Possible alternatives I see are:
- use different commands for insertion and extraction - not sure mdev.conf allows to have two lines per device pattern - monitor /dev with inotify instead of using a command launched by mdev, but this process would be constantly there sleeping.

    Thanks for your help.
                                                Didier