There's, among other cases, this paragraph in The Open Group Base Specification
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/wait.html:

"If the information pointed to by stat_loc was stored by a call to waitpid()
that did not specify the WUNTRACED or WCONTINUED flags, or by a call to the
wait() function, exactly one of the macros WIFEXITED(*stat_loc) and
WIFSIGNALED(*stat_loc) shall evaluate to a non-zero value."
--
Best regards,
Dietmar Schindler

Confidentiality note:
This eMail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use or
received this eMail in error, then please delete this eMail.