wget should work for common use cases.
Such as downloading sources of kernels, gcc and such.
From build scripts, not only by hand.
Without having to modify said scripts.
Your patch breaks that.
NAK.

I don't care that security people are upset.
They are paranoid, it's part of their profession.
It does not mean everybody else have to be as paranoid.

If you have a patch which adds actual cert checking
and thus does not introduce regressions, please post it.