On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:54 PM Tito wrote:

> this embedded scripts patch looks like "featuritis" at its best to me.
> It is adding complexity for solving what problem exactly:
> avoiding to copy the scripts manually to the new system or to
> the new firmware image?

I see one advantage of embedding scripts into busybox binary:
compression. The script could remain compressed in a firmware or
read-only image, saving space, and is useful for users who build
busybox only to run a specific script (installation, embedded
system startup, or something else non-trivial).
I think it's okay for that use case.

> The complexity added to the config system and to bb's common app init
> code seems not worth it.
I can't say about the common init code, but I do think adding
complexity to config system is bad, and that's why I'm against the
script-as-applet feature (especially with applet dependencies that could
be hell).

> One side effect I fear will derive from this patch is that
> users which would be capable of sending patches for bugs
> they find in bb will resort to simply scrap the applet and add
> an embedded script as it is faster.
I disagree. Embedded script always has an overhead of starting a shell
interpreter, although I acknowledge the size advantage the script can
provide, as long as many coreutils are present in that environment.
The script won't worth embedding if you don't intend to build a shell or
coreutils in busybox.