Laurent Bercot wrote in
 <em8e7b63c3-f3cb-4896-8b8e-71ec9a785...@a07a6ddf.com>:
 |  The answer's to Roberto's first question is: yes, initializing
 |/dev/urandom is necessary, but writing stuff to /dev/urandom will not
 |help, even if you consider that stuff random enough. You need a specific
 |tool like seedrng.

No.

 |  For the second thing: most of the initialization of a system can happen
 |while the seeding of the entropy pool is in progress. However, at some
 |point, you need a good source of randomness, e.g. when starting an sshd
 |server, and you should have a tool that makes sure the entropy pool is
 |full *before* important services start using it to get their random
 |data.
 |
 |  seedrng, or rngseed, fill that role. Writing data to /dev/urandom does
 |not. So the answer to Roberto's second question is: no, the provided

Why not?  _Only_ by definition.  The definition is not right.

 |script excerpt is *not* suitable for seeding the entropy pool, no matter
 |how much compression, or even how much hashing, you use.

That .. i agree with.  (I have not really looked i must admit.
This is both truly hairy and totally "exaggerated", in my opinion,
sorry for the bad english.  I have read OpenBSD's as well as
Donenfeld's first as well as Tso's random stuff in the past.  If
anyone wants to know, in my opinion counting entropy was and is
a miracle to me.  NetBSD's CVS HEAD now has a truly sophisticated
approach that is user tunable, in sofar: nice!  I myself say: it
is best effort, treat it as "seeded" if
stat("/dev/random")->st_blksize (aka "stat -c %o /dev/random")
bytes have been written to "it", uh, that is a large value!, and
mix in "jitterentropy" and interrupts and what not for sources in
the kernel to be unique.)
That VM-fork stuff of Jason Donenfeld is a good thing!

--steffen