Friends,

Ok, I'll go ahead and open a can-o-worms:  The radio I'm buying happens to be a
Yaesu FT1DR.

The main reason I'm buying is because I want a new V/U dual-band HT that will
be rugged enough for EMCOMM work, as well as the off-roading, backcountry
backpacking, and mountaineering I do.

I was considering the VX-6R and VX-8R before I found the FT1DR.  The main
reasons I chose the latter over the others are the facts that it has a built-in
GPS, does APRS natively, and has a built-in TNC for data (if I ever decide to
wander down that trail).  In other words, I'd buy this radio even if it didn't
operate System Fusion (digital voice).

In the interest of disclosure, I do tend to be a Yaesu guy, but I also count an
Icom, an Alinco, and several Baofengs among my gear, and I recommended a
Kenwood TH-F6A to a friend recently.

Now, here comes the VHS v. Beta part:

1) What's the general feeling out there with regard to the digital voice modes
like D-Star and System Fusion (love / hate / too early / never be standardized
/ all stink / etc)?

2) With regard to System Fusion, how many of you actually have the capability,
or plan to at some point?

3) Does anyone know whether / how many System Fusion repeaters there are
currently in the greater Houston area?  Or of any plans to deploy?

I'm just trying to get a general feel for how useful that particular feature is
likely to be.  And to stir up a hornet's nest, of course.  ;-)

All opinions / rants / flames welcome.

73,
KF5YHP

Sent from my iPhone