Carrolls Office Furniture 5615 S Rice Ave (Near Microcenter) off of
Westpark.

  _____

From: BVARC [mailto:bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org] On Behalf Of Michael Rapp via
BVARC
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2016 11:57 AM
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB
Cc: Michael Rapp
Subject: [BVARC] Shack Chair?

Hey all,

One thing that will undoubtably improve my contest scores is to make it more
comfortable to stay in the chair longer.  I've done the $150-$200
OfficeMax/OfficeDepot/Staples chairs for twenty years or so now, which,
while adequate, fall short in the ergonomic category.

As I get older, lower back discomfort is the main limiter in how long I can
stay seated.  (Note to past self: taking the summer job moving IBM Selectric
II Typewriters around all day long was not a good idea!)

At UH, they got me one of those "premium" office chairs, made by Contessa.
This thing is impressive.  It is one of those mesh chairs and seems to be
one step down from a Herman Miller chair.  It has more adjustments than my
FT-950 has menu options, but I can perfectly tailor the chair to myself.
Other than chair height, the adjustment that is key for me seems to be
primarily lumbar support, both vertically forward/back.

Comfortable isn't the right word -- I mean, the chair isn't a sofa -- but I
can certainly work late into the night and not have an aching back.

The problem, of course, is that it is expensive, about $700.  The
ultra-premium Herman Miller chairs are about $1,000.  As good as these
chairs are, I have to wonder how much one is paying for the brand name.

Does anyone know of an office furniture store in Houston that has a good
selection of mid-range chairs available to try out?  Something between the
cheap Staples-stocked stuff and the ultra-premium "executive" chairs?  Brand
suggestions are welcome, as well.

73,

--

/*/-=[Michael / KT5MR]-=/*/