I feel your frustration, but I also understand Pat’s caustic comment. Are you
old enough to remember the floods of ’77 (or was it ’78?)? I was up in Hockley
with only a Pocket Scanner to listen to. HFD was hopelessly overwhelmed, and
many of HPD’s 460 MHz repeaters were flooded out. Guess who was handling
essential communications. Yep, hams. Some of the rescue boats even had hams
with HT’s. That’s not to mention the huge load of logistical traffic passed; I
remember hours passing without the WR5AAA machine unkeying.

So yes, I do understand Pat's annoyance, because I can remember when Amateur
Radio was far more relevant. I realize ARES is doing what the civil authorities
task it to, but why isn’t Amateur Radio still capable of matching technology?
Cellular communications left us face down in muddy water, guys. Yeah, cell
sites can die in weather, but so do ham repeaters. (Yes, I’m thinking of the
TranStar repeater.) We don’t have cute little pickups carrying complete
emergency stations like the cellular carriers do.

If Amateur Radio is relegated to administrative communications, why aren’t we
at least doing that efficiently? Radios exist that can move megabytes of
nonverbal information in a blink. I know this because I’m using one now. Civil
authorities love to have as many pictures as possible, and local area computer
networks are very short range. Not every ham could design a longer-range
system, but I’m certain a few could. The rest of us could help by supporting
the work.

Of course, nothing will improve Amateur Radio because we’re too selfishly
individualistic and nostalgic. We still have HF AM. Good grief! I think too
many of us have wanted to participate in Amateur Radio as just a hobby, and
that’s what we’re now relegated to by even our government, a bunch of hobbyists
of marginal usefulness.