Oh my god, I’m agreeing with Ron on something!

People, why do you think I joined the BVARC BOD this year? Things like this are
precisely why. You know, clichés become clichés by first being truisms, and the
one that goes, “if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem,
” seems to particularly fit the ham community. I hear endless moaning about how
those mean HOAs are stopping hams from putting up antennas. Ok then, why isn’t
my HOA battering down my door right now over the 30’ mast in my backward? It’s
only partially concealed and is still visible from the street. In fact, I’ve
lived in my house for 25 years, and have technically been in violation of that
deed restriction most of the time. Yet, I’ve never heard a peep on the matter.
Of course, that there was a ham on the BOD of my HOA, W5EEP (SK), just before
my time might have something to do with my peace. Do you see what I mean about
being part of the solution?

Something that frequently comes up among the BVARC BOD is that club dues only
cover the costs of the newsletter. Everything else that we’ve come to expect of
the club, the banquet, Field Day in a cushy location, Museum Ships event
participation, the August ice cream social, and so forth all have to be
financed by the hamfest. That’s the real reason why we continue to hold the
hamfest even though we’re not particularly good at it. The fundamental issue is
that everything falls on the shoulders of about seven people, and they only
have enough energy to basically rinse and repeat what was done previously.

Lest you think that our hamfest is prosperous, consider just one metric. We’re
in a major metropolitan area, and yet our average annual attendance of 1,500 is
half the SEMI-ANNUAL attendance of a semi-rural hamfest, Belton, no farther
away than Austin. That one thing screams to me, “Houston, you have a problem.”
I’ve heard some of the complaints about our hamfest, and what I’ve heard
relates directly or indirectly to our current venue. Still, nobody seems to
have the time and energy to keep looking for alternatives.