I probably shouldn't be replying because I really don't know about FT450 or
FT8.  But this question totally is befuddling to me as it doesn't say
what's the problem. Maybe I can say one or two things that are helpful.

Here's an RS232/USB cable for $9 from Amazon.
<https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Serial-Adapter-RS232/dp/B00J4N9T9C>
It has a *male* DB9 plug on one end and a USB connector on the other.   If
your radio has a female DB9 port, then you're good, otherwise buy a DB9
gender changer. Googling about the FT450, it says the RS232 Port on the
radio is *male also*, so you'll need a female/female DB9 gender changer...
like this gender change for $5 on Amazon.
<https://www.amazon.com/WOVTE-Changer-Coupler-Adapter-Connector/dp/B00W7BZ31G/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=female+to+female+db9&qid=1579070518&sr=8-3>

Then you'll need to install the driver software.  This can all get
confusing with the fact that the computer will see this interface as a
serial COM port, so you need to set up the right COM port after you plug in
the cable to your USB on the computer.  Or maybe you got a disc with the
radio and it has all the software needed?

And reading further about the FT450.... this Yaesu radio actually labels
the DB9 port "CAT".  Huh?  Can anybody explain what CAT stands for where it
applies to an RS232 serial communications port?  AFAIK the term CAT is
about a cable of multi twisted pair.  In other words CAT cable is like
saying COAX cable -- it's not about the signals going through it or what
its used for, it is about the physical conductor construction of the cable
itself.  Or is this something merely lost in the Japanese/USA translation
and now we have this confusing term CAT being misapplied.  Is it a
misnomer?

Or have I been Rip Van Winkle and this word CAT is now standard and has a
reasonable place in the vernacular, in application to what this is used for?

Rod Neumann  cell: (832)444-0192
ALLogic Inc. / AdorStore
PO Box 217
New Ulm, TX 78950