To talk to a friend, simplex (no repeater) and a tall antenna may work for them.

________________________________
From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> on behalf of Jimmy Vance via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2020 11:49 AM
To: bvarc@bvarc.org <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Jimmy Vance <jimmy.va...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BVARC] Non-coordinated crossband repeater pair frequencies

Cross band repeat aren't really done in pairs per se.  Generally you set your
dual band mobile radio to access a 2m repeater and use the UHF side of the
radio in a simplex fashion with an HT to cross band through your mobile to
increase the range of your HT.

In Texas the UHF areas set aside for this are
440.750 - 440.975    Cross Band Repeat - Fixed
445.750 - 445.975    Cross Band Repeat - Mobile

Backyard repeaters are a different matter. These pairs are not assigned and
available for anyone to use on a temporary basis for events like bicycle rides
and marathons, etc. CTCSS tones are required

 VHF CH 1  -  145.250 out / 144.650 in
UHF CH 1  -  441.300 out / 446.300 in
UHF CH 2  -  441.325 out / 446.325 in
UHF CH 3  -  441.350 out / 446.350 in
UHF CH 4  -  441.375 out / 446.375 in

I have a Motorla GR1225 setup as a portable repeater to use at events. The
duplexer is tuned in between .325 and .350 which allows operation on all 4
frequencies without desense. We have had occasion where we start on one
frequency and get interference and have to switch to one of the other 3

--jv