From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> on behalf of Kori Rahman via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 3:49 PM
To: bvarc@bvarc.org <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Kori Rahman <kori...@gmail.com>
Subject: [BVARC] Self Introduction: Kori

Hello all,

I'm Sheikh "Kori" Rahman (KI5MKU), I just joined the BVARC last Saturday when I
took my exams and I wanted to go ahead and introduce myself to everyone. I am
an Aerospace Engineer by education (Masters in AE from GA Tech 2011), with some
experience in the Oil and Gas industry. Currently living in Sugar Land, TX. I
have been aware of the amateur radio hobby for a long time but never took the
steps to apply until last month. Having been unemployed for a good while now, I
have taken up a lot of self-study in this time. While studying tensor analysis
I realized just how similar the equations of fluid dynamics were to Maxwell's
equations, and so I started learning more about electromagnetic waves. One
thing led to another and "The Algorithm" suggested HAM radio, so I went ahead
and took the leap. I contacted Mark (K5MGJ) about testing, studied on YouTube
and HamStudy.org for a month and passed my Tech and General. I will be studying
Gordon West's (WB6NOA) book for the Extra class exam and plan to take it next
month.

Looks like there are a lot of very smart folks in this club and I hope to learn
a lot from and hopefully contribute to the club as well. Right now my main
interests are exploring digital modes, and RACES/ARES emergency communications.
I have been programming and building circuits projects since I was about 12 and
I like making random programs for fun. The more I learn about HAM the more I
realize I should have done this a long time ago! So I really want to learn
about the digital modes and maybe at some point contribute to the software that
exists or create more. I'm no stranger to RaspberryPi, Arduino and other
microcontrollers, which in my preliminary overview of HAM appear to be used a
lot. For now I've just got my cheap little BaoFeng UV-5R which I have
programmed using CHIRP. Hope to upgrade to maybe a mobile UHF/VHF unit soon. I
would like to try HF at some point down the road as well, because the idea of
off-grid long range communication sounds really cool to me.

I have a long list of hobbies so I'll spare you unless anyone is interested.
However, if there are any Korean speakers please contact me. Anyway, that's my
spiel, feel free to contact me by responding to this email or directly. I will
be attending the ZOOM meeting tonight as well. Thanks! 73s everyone!

S. Kori Rahman (KI5MKU)

Cell: (770) 298 8516
kori...@gmail.com
<mailto:kori...@gmail.com>