Rick,

Something weird is going on.  I did a continuity test between the inside and
outside conductors of the coax, and found a short from the line as it leaves
the shack. Now I have to get back on the roof and determine whether it is the
coax or the antenna. I sniffed around with an oscilloscope probe for RF, and
found things surprisingly clean. So, I have a problem after the coax
connection. Probably the static is a result of not having any active antenna to
speak of. More to come in this saga, I am sure. The strange part is that this
is a brand new coax, and a brand new MFJ-2010 OFDP. My money is on the antenna
matcher. I am sure that will not be the only issue. Glad I decided not to key
the radio!

Mark

See below: