Originally, a mile was a 1000 paces for a Roman legion.  That's where the name comes from.  1000 paces is 2000 steps, so most people have about 2000 steps in a mile.  (My own natural step size is a little longer than average so I do just under 1900 steps per mile.)  This is a long winded way of saying 35,000 step is not 7 miles, that's more than 17.