Yes indeed.  When I had our computer stores, I had huge anti static mats on the
work benches with wrist straps to the mat.  Never had an issue.

73...bruce

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 26, 2021, at 5:27 PM, Michael Monsour via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org> wrote:

There are places that do not recognize that static discharge will destroy
electronics. My company at the time had a high abnormal circuit card failure
rate. Circuit cards were returned to the factory in Australia. They sent some
boards to the university there and used a scanning electron microscope to
determine failure. Static discharge was the culprit! Plus some boards were
damaged in such a way that the boards would quit working after a short time.
Well the company put together a 'Chinese style re-education anti-static
seminar'. The amount of static that can destroy circuitry is below human
perception

So if you walk into a shop and do not see any anti-static straps- walk right
out!
Try Micro-Center.