Hello BVARC!

March is finally here and so begins the *Greater Houston Hamfest! *The big
event starts *TODAY* (Friday March 1st) and continues till tomorrow (March
2nd). There will be lots of great stuff to pick up and some great vendors
to shop with. The event is the biggest for the club and we hope you can
join us for it. Our VE test session this month will be taking place at the
hamfest and there will be testing both Friday and Saturday. After the
hamfest we've got our regular lineup of monthly events. Brews with BVARC
will be on the west side in Katy this month, and the club general meeting
will be at our now usual spot off Bellaire Blvd, the presentation will be
on commercial radio broadcasting.

As always, please check out our website BVARC.org <http://bvarc.org/> for
updates, and for information on our weekly in-person events, nets, and
other resources. The March Newsletter should be posted soon on the
BVARC.org website. Don't forget about our social media as well! We
have a Facebook
Page <https://www.facebook.com/groups/bvarc/>, a Discord Server
<https://discord.gg/kwVGeXM7UH>, and YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/bvarc> for the club. Add the BVARC Calendar to
your calendar app (by clicking the link here
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0?cid=YTk0YTkxYmRhNWU3ZmY3ODhkNjFjOWExNWVjNzY5M2VlYjUzM2IxYTE1YTc4NDlmNDM4MTRmNzI3NzZlNWNmY0Bncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t>),
all events for the next 30 days should be on that calendar as well as
others as we confirm their dates.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
*BVARC Calendar for March 2024:*

*******The Greater Houston Hamfest*******

*Friday March 1st Noon - 8pmand Saturday March 2nd 8am - 3pm*

This is the largest event of the year put on by the club and there will be
lots of opportunities to find some great deals on ham equipment from
individual sellers at the tables and from vendors who will be on-site
selling new equipment and accessories. Tickets are $10 if you buy them
online, or $15 if you get them at the door. There will be door prizes and a
raffle with some great equipment you can pick up if you win. You can find
more information about vendors and sponsors on the website
HoustonHamfest.org <http://houstonhamfest.org/> or contact Mike Hardwick
N5VCX for more info on the event and volunteering.

*Where:*

Fort Bend County Fairgrounds
4310 TX- 36 S
Rosenberg, TX 77471

*BVARC VE Test Session*
*Friday AND Saturday March 1st and 2nd at GHHF*

The club will be having our VE test session at the Greater Houston Hamfest
both days of the event. You can sign up now on our website (BVARC.org
<https://bvarc.org/home/ham-radio-license-testing-houston/>) to take an FCC
license exam to get your ham radio license or upgrade to General or Extra.
You are also welcome to walk-in and take your exam during the event, just
be sure to have your photo ID and FRN number ready. Bring a pen/pencil,
blank sheet of paper, and calculator if you would like.

*Where:*
Fort Bend County Fairgrounds
4310 TX- 36 S
Rosenberg, TX 77471

*BVARC Board of Directors Meeting*
*Sunday March 10th at 5:00pm*

The BVARC BoD is now meeting on the Sunday before the Second Thursday of
the month at 5pm (with few exceptions). This meeting will take place on
Zoom only, and all members are encouraged to attend so they can check out
what the board is up to. The BVARC BoD is here to serve you, so please
attend and let your voice be heard..

*Where:*

On Zoom
(link posted before meeting on this email reflector)

*Brews with BVARC*
*Tuesday March 12th at 6:30pm*

For the March Brews with BVARC we’re heading out to Voodoo Brewing company
in Katy! They are a relatively new location and not only offer great
looking brews but have a kitchen where you can order some pretty awesome
looking food including burgers, hotdogs, nachos, pretzels, and sliders.
Checkout their brews and their great selection of food at their website:
katy.voodoobrewery.com.
*Where:*

Voodoo Brewing Company
22756 Westheimer Pkwy # 100
Katy, TX 77450

*BVARC General Meeting*
*Thursday March 14th at 7:00pm*

The BVARC General Meeting will be on March 14th and we will have a special
presentation from Bob Stroupe, W5KK. He will be doing a presentation on
commercial radio broadcasting and all of its unique issues and problems.
Bob, who is Chief Engineer for a major commercial broadcaster has been in
the business since Marconi retired. So come on out and hear Bob talk about
the ups and downs in the commercial radio business. Doors open at 7:00pm,
and the meeting starts at 7:30pm. There will be pizza, salad and ice tea
served by the BVARC Food Team.

*Where:*

Volunteer Fire Station #4

16005 Bellaire Blvd.

Houston, TX 77083

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

That's the rundown that I have for now. I will keep the updates coming
throughout the month, so stay tuned. Please reach out to me or
any BVARC board member if you have any questions or concerns about our club
events, volunteering, or anything else ham radio related. We're here for
you!

Thanks for being a member. Thank you for your time and 73 everybody!

Kori Rahman, WX5KR
*Brazos Valley Amateur Radio Club*

*Vice-President and Club Call Sign KK5W Trustee*
Cell: (770) 298 8516

kori...@gmail.com