Ron,
Xfinity provides a link where you can check if your device is "approved" for
use with Xfinity internet. That just means that they tested it and confirmed
that it works.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems

Click on "My Device Info" to check specific devices. Some may recommend Amazon,
but I would start with figuring out what you need and can handle, versus what
you want.

Because you asked about replacing the Xfinity router, I'm making an assumption
that Xfinity has provided you with a combination cable modem and router. If
this is not correct, then you may disagree with my statements below, they may
not make sense, or I may be off base entirely.

That said...
I learned the hard way.

- With Xfinity, you're not buying a router. You're buying a Cable Modem. Keep
that in mind, because you need two devices, unless you get a combo cable modem
and router, and usually you only get that from Xfinity.
- Your cable modem needs to handle as much bandwidth as Xfinity can provide,
unless you don't care and you're buying a modem based on price or reliability,
and not on bandwidth. With a cable modem like Arris, for example, you get
(typically) a single Ethernet output. That connects to the input of your
router, e.g. Asus, Arris, Netgear, etc.
- If either the cable modem or router handle lower speeds than what Xfinity is
sending to the house, the lowest speed device will be your bottleneck, and that
will set your max upload/download speed.
- If you do like I did, and grab any old CAT5 cable from the cable modem to the
router, you may also limit your speed, because older CAT5 cables are not rated
for 1Gbps like we have available today. Typically, CAT5 can only handle 100Mbps.
- If you take the output from the router, and feed it to a network switch that
provides Ethernet in other rooms throughout the house, the speeds at those
jacks will be limited to whatever each specific Ethernet cable can handle.

In my case, I have older CAT5 everywhere (circa 2011 - 2012). The house was
wired that way. I upgraded to AT&T fiber, which has been fine. But the CAT5
can't handle that bandwidth. So I'm limited to about 100Mbps at an Ethernet
jack, but my WiFi speed is 450+ Mbps. I can get 1G from the AT&T modem/router
if I directly connect an Ethernet cable to the back of it. So, if you have high
speed internet, when you bring that into the house and to the back of the
modem, the actual speed you will get will depend on how you want to connect
your devices from there. If Xfinity can only provide 500 Mbps to your location
and you get a 1G cable modem and router, you won't get 1G. Likewise, if you
have 1G coming to the house, and you want to go from the cable modem to a
router that feeds Ethernet jacks throughout the house, the speed you will get
will be limited by the Ethernet cable you run (or that's already installed) and
the router you're using.

In my case, I have an AT&T fiber modem, which they provide, but I can also use
it as a router. I choose not to, and I connected an ASUS router so that I can
administer the network the way I want. From the ASUS router, I ran a CAT6e
Ethernet cable in my office to my main computer so that I get 1Gbps (+/-), and
I ran another Ethernet from the ASUS router to the network switch. The house
was already wired so my speed to the Network switch is limited to about
100+Mbps, even though the switch itself can handle more, the CAT5 cable coming
to it is the bottleneck, like I mentioned before. But this is still plenty fast
enough for streaming video (Roku, etc). Most of the remaining devices are on
the WiFi from my office router. Because of obstructions in the house, I have a
second router that is connected via the same slow speed Ethernet jack I
mentioned before. The second router itself can handle 1Gbps also, but the WiFi
is only as fast as the Ethernet feeding the router, so I typically get about
the same 100+ Mbps from that one. But, for my needs, I'm mostly using it to run
WiFi cameras, iPads, Laptops, etc. So I don't need the bandwidth, and I
wouldn't spend the money on a highspeed router for that purpose. Although, I'm
using one just because I happen to have it. I didn't buy it because I needed
the bandwidth for those devices. I probably could have used WiFi repeaters
instead, but with the angles in my house, I would need several. So I just used
a spare modem I happen to have and stuck with the slow CAT5 cable that is
already in the house.

A note on cables, too. There's CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT6e, and CAT6A. CAT6e is an
enhanced version of CAT6, but there's no actual standard for it in the
Telecommunications Industry Association. But, it can handle speeds up to 1Gbps.
When you get ready to start connecting devices, or however you want to set up
your network, you'll need to be aware of each piece in the chain, because that
could be your bandwidth-limiting connection.

Probably way more than you wanted to know, but details matter and I thought I
would try and spare you the same aggravation I went through if you go into this
not knowing the details above.

Hope it helps.

-Kristan
KI5VVT