Whoever plans programs for BVARC general meetings might want to consider a
Skywarn training program, unless of course, you've already done that.

K5JPP  JP

From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> On Behalf Of ralph phillips via BVARC
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2024 3:34 PM
To: OFARC <of...@mailman.qth.net>; bvarc@bvarc.org
Cc: ralph phillips <ke5...@sbcglobal.net>; kb5...@flash.net
Subject: [BVARC] Fw: SkyWarn and Amateur Radio

A conversation started on the BVARC reflector about the lack of radio
communications during the past few heavy rainfalls and wind storms.
Several operators wanted to relay reports from their areas last week but
could not raise anyone on the air at Transtar or NWS.

I reached out to the SkyWarn coordinator for Houston/Galveston with
questions about repeaters, reporting, and training.

His reply is attached below.  Basically he says:

*       they were on the air during last week's storm

*       They now use the south coast linked repeater system

*       training is available

*       we can always use the 800 phone number listed on their webpage.

*       They are willing to do a class tailored for amateur radio operators.

My thoughts:

*       PLEASE understand that SkyWarn is NOT storm chasing.  A few comments
I saw on the reflector indicated some people equate the two.  SkyWarn is
nothing more than reporting what you see where ever you are ... on the road,
at home, at a ball game, in a shelter, etc.

*       The training tells you what the NWS wants you to report.

*       The training schedule shows multiple classes in March...none in the
SW sector of "Greater Houston"

*       We can go online to take the classes on our own.  We do not have to
wait on them to give a class that is convenient to us.

*       The south coast repeaters web page does not load for me, but the
second link works fine and lists several linked repeaters

*       That 800 phone number may not work during  severe weather because
the circuits are overloaded or the towers are down.

*       Make sure you can reach several of the repeaters listed in case  the
ones closest to you go down during a storm.

*       An on-line search revealed there is a SkyWarn net on Echolink that
meets every month during the "off season" and weekly during hurricane
season.
https://voipwx.net/welcome-to-the-voip-skywarn-hurricane-net-support-site/

*       I had training several years ago and should probably take a
refresher.  I will watch for ZOOM  based (or similar) sessions.

Reach out to Dan Reilly if you want to request training for a club or
something tailored to amateur radio.  dan.rei...@noaa.gov
<mailto:dan.rei...@noaa.gov>

73

Ralph KE5HDF