Makes sense to me.  My personal situation is that open ended commitments 
are dangerous, because there is more than one commitment. 

For two weeks, I thought I would be free, and the fact is that I had 
things that required my being somewhere else for a fair amount of time 
on Saturday.   It is easier to tell someone that I am committed for 
say....8 weeks, than to say that I am busy every Saturday, and be 
reminded that another organization, or the home maintenance, or a 
customer is important also.

Sean Burns wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 05:19:44PM -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> > Something tells me there needs to be an element of time attached to
> > volunteering, with a definite start and end date. Beginning on the
> > start date, volunteers are oriented. Then they are trained, work on
> > projects, teach, etc. When their time is up, they are free to move on
> > or volunteer for another round. But there is always a definite start
> > and end.
> >
> > Fellowships, internships, enlistments, sabbaticals, training programs,
> > political positions, and contract work all have that element of a
> > defined period.
>
> That sounds like a wonderful idea. A sort of tour, so to speak. I
> think you could add something to this: give the volunteer the ability to
> complete all the programs, if they want, and attain a sort of
> "promotion", like Master Level I, but maybe something more creative than
> that. But the various programs individually could be Apprentice Level
> A, Apprentice Level B, etc. Once they complete all those, Master Level
> I. Then they can do a project of their own creation/design: that would
> be Master Level II. But all this could be voluntary and each level
> would be autonomous so if they only wanted to do one tour (or term),
> that would be all right also.
>
> sean
> -- 
> Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:42:20 -0500
>
>  

Reply via email to