Is it possible to compile imapd so that it will accept unencrypted logins
and sessions on port 143 and also encrypted sessions via SSL on port 993,
and if so how?

This may seem a crazy idea (and maybe it is) but what I am about to do is
upgrade my server from an earlier, non-SSL version of imapd. I have users
who connect using standard email clients (eg Entourage) who I would like to
move to SSL. I also have a PHP-based webmail client (SquirrelMail) running
with Apache on the same server as imapd.

Unfortunately,  SquirrelMail (SM)  doesn't do SSL, though I could set up an
stunnel from port 143 to 993 (with additional overheads). However, since SM
and imapd are on the same machine, I could block all incoming traffic on
port 143, so that the only 'client' that would open sessions with impad on
port 143 would be SM locally, and the only option for external (non-web)
clients would be SSL via 993.

I have tried building with  "SSLTYPE=unix" in the make command line but that
doesn't achieve the above.

Chris

Dr Christopher Bunch
Bayswater Farm House