I managed to get this working without hardcoding the mailsubdir. It is probably an interaction of my lack of understanding of the server behavior and the use/definition of namespaces coupled with random Mozilla lossage. Restarting Mozilla (not merely reconnecting the server) seemed to be crucial to deterministic results.

Mozilla has the following in its Server Settings...Advanced dialog:

Server Directory:  mailboxes/
Personal namespace: "#mh/","#mhinbox",""
Other users: (blank)

It was crucial to have the trailing ',""' in Peronsal namespaces for this configuration to work. Other iterations of ~/mailboxes etc didn't cut it and I got messages from Mozilla like "Mailbox ~|mailboxes|Junk not found" when ~/mailboxes/Junk exists etc. But anyway now it is happy.

Aloha!
Michael
E^K