On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Erich Beyrent wrote:
I am running FreeBSD 5.3 and have built the latest version of imap.  My
problem is that I cannot seem to get IMAP to download any messages to my
Outlook client.  POP3 is working correctly - in my $HOME directory, I have a
.mail file containing all the messages that sendmail dumps in there.

What other configuration steps do I need to perform?

First, you need to understand that the IMAP server does not download message *to* your Outlook client -- the Outlook client downloads messages *from* the IMAP server.

There is no configuration necessary in the IMAP server for a standard system configuration. Normally, any configuration is done on the client; and indeed your problem may be entire a client configuration issue.

Then again, it may not be.

You say that "sendmail dumps [messages]" into a $HOME/.mail directory. This is not a standard location for mail to be delivered. If you have made a non-standard location for mail, it should not be surprising that you need to change software that accesses mail to look for the message in the non-standard location. In general, I recommend that only experts do such things, and that everybody else stay with the standard defaults.

I also don't understand how "sendmail dumps" messages into a $HOME/.mail directory has anything to do with "POP3 working correctly".

So, in order to diagnose your problem further, you need to be a bit more specific about what is going on. If you have made non-standard changes to the location of mail, etc. then the first piece of advice that I will give you is to undo those changes and use the standard locations.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.