We're going to do something about these mailing list names. Even though the actual software is called c-client, most people don't remember that name...

You don't need to build with SSLTYPE=none if you want to allow your Java client to connect with plaintext passwords. SSLTYPE=unix will also work, that is:
make gso SSLTYPE=unix
This will build with SSL but without disabling plaintext passwords.

It should work given what you've described. What, exactly, happens "when it tries to find the mailbox it can't"? Do you get an error message? If so, what is the message? Do you get a seemingly empty INBOX?

What are the *exact* contents of the first line of a /var/mail/username file that exhibits this problem?