Mark Crispin wrote:

In order to create mailboxes within a mailbox, you need to use a mailbox format which supports this "dual-use".

mbx format is not such a format; nor is traditional UNIX mailbox format.

That is doable. Just deside on a special mailbox name to be the folders 'own' mailbox, let just call it mbox0 for now.

If You try to access a folder as a mailbox, open folder/mbox0.

If You try to access a mbox as a folder, just report it as empty.

If someone try to save to a folder that's an mbox, create an temp folder. Move the mbox ther as tmpfolder/mbox0, move tmpfolder to the original mbox name, then proceed with the save.

Will likly break other tools, but only if people actuly *us* the feature.

Personally, I think that "dual-use" is a bad idea from a user interface point of view, since that means that for a name you have to have a separate "open as mailbox" and "open as directory" operation.

The ui isue is solwed long time ago. Standard 'treeview' with a + or arrow to expand a node, and some icon to select it.

But this seems to be a matter of religion.

Yeha, but I actuly have found a use for it. I sort mail in differnt folder, and for each folder mail older than one year in one folder for each year. Would clean up my folderlisting *allot* to make thes yearly folders subfolders to 'ther' mailbox. While keeping them in the same spot.

/LaH