On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Clive McDowell wrote:
I have a strange problem with an MBX format INBOX. It contains 6618 messages but only the most recent 33 are being displayed by PINE or any other clients I've tried.

That means that the other 6585 messages were deleted and expunged in a shared session. Those messages will be removed (and the space they occupy reclaimed) the next time an expunge or checkpoint is done in an exclusive session.

The power tool
ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/powertool/unexpunge.c
can be used to turn off the expunge bits for those messages. Feed the file to its stdin, and get the unexpunged version on stdout.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.