Mark,
> The text is correct.  If INBOX is an empty file, it defaults to the
> system standard (which is traditional UNIX format on most systems, but
> MMDF on SCO).

I see your point. "Empty" means empty in the sense of "contains zero
bytes" rather than "contains zero messages" (since it describes a file
rather than a mail folder). I was thinking that the passage neglected to
specify what happens if the mail folder file INBOX does not exist, but
then I realized that I was making another subtle misinterpretation. I
think I grasp now that INBOX is the imap abstraction equivalent to the
mail folder INBOX in $HOME or, when this does not exist, the incoming
mail spool file. But still, even with this understanding, what happens
if there is no INBOX at all?

Mark