Gareth,

Thanks for the blog entry; however, it too is less than clear.  You
write,

"To release all memory consumed then you must delete the document. If,
after deleting the document you still see a memory leak then there may
well be a memory leak."

What exactly does "deleting the document" mean in code?  Is it calling:

DOMDocument::release() after creating and appending all sorts of nodes,
elements and attributes?

Or is it something else?

It throws into question a lot of the sample programs, unfortunately, so
the extra clarity here is appreciated.

> Hey,
>
>       Wrote a short one

http://blog.parthenoncomputing.com/xerces/archives/2005/05/memory_manage
me
> .html
>
> Please give comments. This comes up now and again so its worth
spending
> a bit of time on to make it understandable.
>
> Gareth
>

> Jason E. Stewart wrote:
> > Radovan Chytracek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >

> >>I do not know details of Perl binding for Xerces-C but I think the
> >>DOM document could be exposed via a handle in form of smart pointer
> >>which can call transparently the release() method in its destructor.
> >>Some sort of handle-body design pattern might do it well for this
> >>purpose, e.g. BOOST shared_ptr<T> for example.
> >

> > Hi Radovan,
> >
> > I'm really looking to understand the consequences of release()
versus