ed wrote:
> Thomas Hruska wrote:
>> You should seriously consider using an IDE such as KDevelop:
>>
>> http://www.kdevelop.org/
>>
>> KDevelop uses gdb behind the scenes for debugging without displaying the
>> ugly nitty-gritty details.  However, while gdb works fine for C, VC++
>> has the far superior C++ debugger.  Even then, using command-line gdb
>> isn't really all that useful.  Use tools (such as KDevelop) that help
>> you write better code faster even if they aren't as "pure" or "noble" as
>> the command-line.
>>
>> I may take a look at the source code later.
>>

> Bah!
>
> nvi, gcc and gdb for eva.
>
> Seriously, relying on kdevelop is not a good way to start out. The last
> thing the world needs is another drag and drop programmer. When things
> go tits up, success favours those who know what they're doing.

I disagree wholeheartedly.  Using the command-line to build software is
good for exactly one type of software program:  A "hi there" program to
make sure everything is in working order.  Knowing _how_ to use the
command-line compiler is good enough.  After that, head off to the IDE
and let it manage your software projects, using Google to hunt down
weird problems.

> A little knowledge of things like buffer over flows saves us many exploits.

That has absolutely nothing to do with using an IDE or the command-line.
  There is no correlation.  Bad programmers use gcc (or IDEs) just as
well as good programmers.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President