From: Jimmy Johnson <boxer...@yahoo.com>
To: c-prog@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 17 March, 2010 12:25:09 AM
Subject: [c-prog] Re: A thought about example code

You missed the point. I never said, "You don't need pointers." Just the point
of the examples are not the pointers but the method of declaring a type (as in
my example about arrays). I am just saying that the point (array declaration)
gets lost in the pointers.

Many of these examples seem to target novice users like me. I am just
suggesting a way to clarify example code for the new user.

Okay, now I see where your comment about typedef-ing string came from. If I
wanted to teach a new Eiffel user about class ARRAY, I would avoid complicated
(to a new user) constructs. So, even though it is simple to me, I would not use

a: ARRAY [STRING]

because class STRING is one of the few classes in Eiffel that give new users a
hard time. And I certainly would not start with

a: ARRAY [ARRAY [STRING]]

I want my use of the array (the point of the example) to not get obfuscated
(that's a C term isn't it?) by the type of the objects the array holds.

BTW, my code *is* full of pointers...and full of bugs too. [Relax, I don't
blame the bugs on the poiters--ust my poor use of them.] So back to work.

--- In c-p...@yahoogroups. com, Tyler Littlefield <ty...@...> wrote:

> I'm not sure where the idea that you "don't need pointers in c++ comes from,"
> as I've seen it here multiple times. Just because your learning c++ doesn't
> mean you won't use pointers, though, and being able to read the code is just
> as important as being able to write it. Everyone that writes code isn't going
> to typedef their strings for the people that don't understand how to read
> pointers. I don't want to come across as rude at all with it, but I really
> highly suggest you get used to the pointer idea. If you want to use a lot of
> different libraries, you'll end up using pointers sooner or later.
>
> Thanks,
> Tyler Littlefield
> http://tds-solution s.net
> Twitter: sorressean
>
> On Mar 16, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
> > I just want to say thanks again to all the people on this forum who have
> > provided so much help to me. But I have a suggestion to those of you who
> > provide sample code and books.
> >
> > Don't use intergers as the central type in the demo.
> >
> > For example, when describing arrays most examples go something like this:
> >
> > int my_array[10] ;
> >
> > or:
> >
> > int* my_array;
> > my_array = new int[10];
> >
> > As a non-C programmer I find this confusing; I can't separate the pointers
> > from the objects. Especially when the writer then goes into the benifits of
> > pointer arithmatic (of which it seems supporters of C are very proud).
> >
> > Oh, and don't use strings either [char* is confusing too]. Use an abstract
> > type such as PERSON or MY_TYPE. So the example becomes:
> >
> > person my_array[10] ;
> >
> > Now it is easy for us non-c programmers to tell the difference between an
> > access to an object and a pointer manipulation.
> >
> > Just my two cents worth.
> >
> > Jimmy J. Johnson

      Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!
http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/