Hi,

Johan Tibell wrote:
[...] I'm convinced we need support for building benchmark using Cabal.  [...]

Could test sections be used for benchmarks, too?

Step 1. Add basic support for building simple benchmark suites e.g. modelled
after test suite sections:

This should work immediately.

Step 2. Add a detailed benchmark interface that allows the benchmark to
associate a real valued *measure* (optionally with upper and lower bounds)
with a benchmark name.

This could be supported by a protocol where a "test" reports a real instead of a boolean value.

  Test bench-foo
      type:           benchmark-1.0
      main-is:        bench-foo.hs
      build-depends:  base

Except for the more specialized keywords, there seems to be no need to distinguish tests from benchmarks.

  Tillmann