On 23/10/2012 09:04, Roman Leshchinskiy wrote:
Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simo...@microsoft.com>wrote:

Do you mean “silently and forever�?

I think that's what I mean, yes.

As Johan notes, many of us run our continuous builds of our packages with
-Wall -Werror in order to keep them as clean as possible. Introducing a
deprecation thus forces me into some kind of response as my builds all
suddenly fail: I can either turn off -Werror for a package, or edit the
affected source files.

It seems to me that hard-coding -Werror in source distributions is a
mistake since it serves no real purpose other than breaking the package
for everyone whenever a compiler introduces a new warning. You can compile
with -Werror while developing, of course. But why have -Werror in the
release?

Quite right, shipping code with -Werror turned on is definitely a bad idea. I think Hackage and/or Cabal will complain if you try to do this.

Cheers,
        Simon