On 2015-03-22, at 15:59, Michael Snoyman <mich...@snoyman.com> wrote:

> 2. A method for installing GHC and build tools. I personally think that it
> makes sense to separate out this aspect of the platform from all others.
> MinGHC is an example of such a project: a minimal set of functionality for
> bootstrapping a more complete Haskell development environment.
> 3. Prebuilt binary package databases. As I've mentioned in the past, and
> others have here, there are problems with the current approach of putting the
> packages in the global package database. I'd personally rather see this
> aspect of the platform give way to more robust solutions.

> I think a smaller task force dedicated to improving the tooling situation is
> the best next step, and I'd be happy to kick off such an effort with other
> interested individuals.

I’d be very happy to contribute to this effort.  In fact, I’ve already spent
some of time addressing these issues.

Halcyon already provides a method for installing GHC, cabal-install,
build-tools, and other Haskell programs — on OS X, and many Linux
distributions.  FreeBSD and Windows are on the roadmap.

Additionally, Halcyon allows you to declare native OS libraries as build-time
(or run-time…) dependencies for Haskell programs.  They will be installed into
a user-controlled directory, by wrapping around the native OS package manager.

Currently, this is supported on Debian-based and RedHat-based Linux
distributions, which partially implements a long-standing cabal-install feature
request:
https://github.com/mietek/halcyon/issues/38
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/571

See the Haskell Language source code for an example:
https://halcyon.sh/examples/#haskell-language

See the Halcyon reference for details:
https://halcyon.sh/reference/#halcyon_sandbox_extra_os_packages
https://halcyon.sh/reference/#halcyon_extra_os_packages