Dear milist,

Kesuksesan pemilihan presiden ternyata tidak dengan sendirinya 
menghasilkan presiden yang bisa memenuhi hasrat rakyat. SBY bermain 
aman untuk dirinya sendiri. Lalu bagaimana pergerakan kawula muda 
(mahasiswa) sekarang ini. Nukilan hasil wawancara berikut mungkin 
bisa sedikit memberikan wacana lain. Pada wawancara tersebut 
ditekankan juga pentingnya untuk terus menjadi "good guy" pada 
kondisi yang tidak kondusif sekarang ini.



Salam,




FH



Wimar on Indonesian students today and his campaign for vice president
KABAR Indonesia
24 March 2007
>From KABAR Indonesia, Vol. II Issue 12, 2007

Wimar's Perspective

Political analyst, talkshow host, former presidential spokesman to 
Gus Dur (a time documented in his memoir No Regrets), avid blogger, 
communications specialist and one of those gentlemen who seem to be 
eternally surrounded by an assortment of adoring ladies. Wimar 
Witoelar speaks to KABAR about student days, SBY and his own budding 
vice-presidential campaign. 

K: You have experienced interesting times in Indonesia's history, 
some turbulent times: you've been involved with 2 student 
movements... 

WW: I have experienced all of Indonesia's history except the first 
four years after I was born, when I couldn't understand. From '49 on 
I do remember. 

I was involved in two major student movements, the '66 one which 
ousted Soekarno and brought in Soeharto and '98, we all know what 
happened there. I was also very active in the '78 student movement, 
which actually was the first open rebellion against Soeharto by 
students. In Indonesia anything you said that was less than 
complimentary about Soeharto was quite risky, so actually saying we 
didn't want him got you in jail; in fact, I was in jail '78 so that 
was a defining moment. 

K: How active are Indonesian students today?

WW: I think they are just as active as students were in my day. 
Student activism is always contextual, it's not driven by some innate 
ideology except maybe by a biological phase of a person's life, the 
need for excitement, the courage, the experimentation. They all react 
to whatever is happening. So if Soeharto makes things smooth and 
nobody really knows what's going wrong, students don't do anything. 
But if suddenly the country goes into economic crisis, or there's a 
moral crisis, then students react: it's just action against reaction. 

K: Do you think they have much to react against nowadays?

WW: Yes, but it's getting more difficult because it's like your body 
is itching but you don't know where. So you spend a lot of time 
trying to find where you can scratch to get rid of the itch. 
Yesterday a student asked me, why is that we cannot trust this 
government? She doesn't know quite what's wrong with it but she knows 
something is wrong. 

That's why I am very happy I'm in the area of communications because 
we can help people understand by highlighting phenomena in society, 
like if you have a picture, by setting the contrast, the brightness, 
the focus that you think is sharpest. 

Otherwise, if you look at SBY, everything is a blur. It's quite a 
pleasant blur but it's a blur. He's what the Beatles call a Nowhere 
Man: You don't know where he stands. He hasn't done any work 
practically in 2 years except just doing the ceremonial stuff. Howard 
likes SBY, Bush likes SBY, the Western press likes him... but we are 
not getting the service that we expect from a president with a 61% 
mandate. 

K: You have described Gus Dur as "the greatest man I have ever 
known". Can you tell us a little about the impact that he has had on 
your life? 

WW: He just touches me because he is inspiring, trustworthy and most 
of all fun. Always has an angle, on everything. So we would sit and 
watch the world go by and exchange wisecracks on every guest that 
came in. But when you have to get serious, he can expound very 
articulately on Jefferson's theory of democracy, on the Lenin 
revolution, and especially of course on Islamic history, on anything. 
So being with him is just like being at a teach-in every day. And no 
pressure. He is like the Robert Redford character in Indecent 
Proposal-I will not ask you to do anything you don't want to! 

K: Would you like to be presidential spokesman today?

WW: No, I have actually announced my availability to be a vice 
president. I'm just saying I am here, if you want a better vice 
president than this one, or the one before, or any vice president, I 
am here. Because today is the age of communications, you need some 
political decency. SBY does not have a vice president who 
communicates for him or for the country. And he does not have a vice 
president who is decent. Anyone wants me, a nice guy, communicative 
guy, I'm here, if you find a better one, please.... I think the 
country is in need of good people and I like incidences like Faisal 
Basri, Sarwono, running for governor when they know they don't have a 
chance. But at least, you know, if you're really unhappy about the 
situation and you're unhappy about complaining all the time, try 
running! 

K: So you think there is a spirit that wasn't there before?

WW: Gus Dur brought in the concepts of democracy and also showed that 
anybody can be anything if he or she knows his or her capabilities 
and the opportunities. Prime example is myself, I'm just a guy, maybe 
a little more observant than others but I never had a government 
position. I had never stepped once in the presidential office, I had 
never met Gus Dur and the reason he knows me is from my writing, from 
my appearances on TV. And the reason I appeared on TV or in journals 
is not through connections, but just because I write and people like 
what I write. And this campaign for the vice-presidency is also going 
to be like that. I will not bribe anyone, I will not misuse campaign 
funds and if they want me I am in. My inspiration would be the chance 
that I would inspire others.

www.perspektif.net

Kirim email ke