If it helps anyone to decide on their approach, I've always thought of
data validation vs process validation. The 'Cake Way' seems to fit very
nicely with that concept.

Data validation logically sits nearest the data model - even as far as
triggers and/or stored procedures within the database if that's your
bag. So data *integrity* is protected no matter what.

Complex inter-model business rule and process validation then seperates
out fairly comfortably into the controller.

There is a nicely textured grey are between all of the letters for some
of us to play in - for the rest there are many long threads on the
merits of 'how best to display negative numbers in red - I don't want
to put business rules in my view' to study and comment on :)

~Philip