Having run a mailing list that ran into just such growing pains, I can
suggest splitting up this group into two groups. One group will be for
New Cake Users, aka "newbies," and the other one will be for
intermediate to advanced users.

After the split, I suggest that the hyper-experts not answer questions
on the New Users list. Encourage newcomers to help each other, and
maybe a few intermediate users could start answering questions on the
newbies list. If a question on the New Users group cannot be answered
there, it could be promoted up to the higher level group -- or maybe
just re-asked there by the original questioner.

The one thing I suggest NOT doing is... nothing. That leads to burnout,
which can be a very serious problem and can have a negative effect on
the development effort.

I agree with AD7six that imposing some kind of voluntary structure on
questions is unlikely to work, if only because the new people are,
well, new, and they won't know about or understand the structure at
first.