Why would a tutorial with pictures help? If Cake was actually a CMS or
something I could understand it, but it's not - it's a programming
framework. As such an illustrated tutorial wouldn't be all that
useful.

Check out the screencasts, that's probably as much of a step by step
illustrated tutorial as you're going to find.

Steve