I haven't tried this yet.  You might look here for some basic
information:  http://extjs.com/learn/Tutorial:Ext20_Tree_TreeLoader_PHP_MySQL

The main problem I see with doing this with cake is getting your data
in the correct format.  I have some other extjs tutorials; maybe I can
get a tree tutorial up sometime.  You can find my other stuff here:
http://www.ntatd.org/mark.  Maybe some of it will help, since the
datagrids do cover outputting data in json format.

hydra12