Yeah, I got that the reason is linguistic in its origin. It is great
when trying to search a mass of text. But when you try to do a
matching search for an exact string it does complicate things a lot
when you still think that = really means exactly equal.

Doing WHERE username = 'myname' I (as a programmer) never ever want to
match anything else but exactly that.
Doing WHERE article LIKE '%cake%' I would not at all be this critical
or surprised since it is a different kind of searching in my world.

Also, I was under the mistaken impression that COLLATE was ONLY
related to how to sort these special characters. This I have not
problem with either btw. Previously, I had no idea that collation also
affected simple matching searches.

The equal sign has a special place in my heart. :)
I guess the binary collation will be my preference for general data.

Do you have any advice for a web-application with multiple languages?
You can only take advantage of the linguistic advantages as long as
the language in the data and the collation match. How would cater for,
say, a blog in both german and french? Set the database defaults to
general or binary and then add COLLATE utf8_french_ci to the queries?

thanks
Martin