you need to use $data = $this->ModelName->create();

this populates the model with the default data and created the
structure for the data.

For example if you have a table model with the following structure

id int
name varchar(100) defaul 'My Name'
age int(3) default 12

Then using $data = $this->Model->create();
would give
$data['Model']['name']= 'My Name';
$data['Model'][age'] = 12;

You could then set $data['Model']['age'] = 42;

then save the data

$this->Model->save($data);

this would then save to the database;;