To call it an arbitrary limitation is a bit harsh.
Having Cake support queries and associations across multiple databases
would be a cool feature but I struggle to find a very good reason for
willingly design an application in this way. CakePHP was never
designes to be compatible with any and all legacy databases possible.

Can you explain why you would want to design an application in this
way?

You are in a great position to take a stab at extending CakePHP's
Model class (and probably dbo classes?) to handle this.

I can vaguely see how it might be done but you would definitely loose
backwards compatibility.
All Models would have to be prefixed with its database
"Data1.Table1.id" or you would probably very quickly run into naming
conflicts.
In database.php I would make the "database" value into an array
'database'=>array('data1','data2')
Then you would have to modify the sql-generating methods to take the
database into account.

I have no idea how many database-engines support this? Is it supported
by all common SQL databases Cake has engines for?

/Martin