Hi,
I have been migrating an application to 1.2 and partly because of some
threads about performance and benchmarking I have done my own
comparisons. Loading up a simple login form for my app (just Auth no
ACL) 1.1 is 8-10 times faster. 1.2 quickly catches up on more complete
requests with a running session and more data.

I was wondering of there was something I could do to my application to
speed up Cake's initial overhead? I thought it might be some of my
code but the time seem to be lost between bootstrap.php and the
beforeFilter. Dropping all components does very little so I am
guessing that if any time can be saved it has to be in routing or by
some opcode caching.

My server has eAccelerator running. Is there any experience of
problems using eAccelerator (or APC) with 1.2 or anything like that
which could explain the difference? Or , maybe I should say is there
anything I may have forgotten to do that would make opcode caching
work more efficiently on 1.2?

I want to be clear about a few things.
1. I am talking about pretty small numbers here. Hundreds of seconds,
not minutes. The total overhead on my server is about 0.06-0.08 sec
depending on the mood of the server. 1.1 is usually another 0 down at
about 0.008 sec. 1.2 is fast but 1.1 is damn fast, which is slightly
annoying :)

2. This is not a big problem for this application on this server but I
do have another project where the hardware is being pushed a lot more.
This is me learning more about optimization. I am not looking to trim
away anything in the core to gain speed but if there is something I
can do to help the core "boot" faster I'd like give it a try.

As always, any insights shared are greatly appreciated.

/Martin