I'm running into a problem across my Cake application (running latest
version of RC3). I currently have about 450 "listings" loaded on my
site, and I'm trying to build an administrative interface to edit
those listings individually. I've built that page out without a
problem, excluding one issue. For about 80% of the listings on my
site, the "description" attribute stored in a MySQL table does not
display as the textarea 'value' on that page for editing. The textarea
field is blank, and when I view the source code in a browser, it
doesn't have any content assigned to it.

What's weird is that, about 20% of the posts DO actually display the
correct value for "description" inside of those corresponding textarea
fields. I assumed that, perhaps, when I loaded the data for those 450
posts into the MySQL table, that the data didn't load correctly for
those broken "description" fields. However, I checked that table and
all 450 posts have the description values loaded properly.

This got me thinking, perhaps an issue with a specific character in
some of these "descriptions"? the MySQL DB is set to utf8_general
collation, and there don't APPEAR to be any special characters in the
tuples that seem to be "broken".

I noticed Changeset 5778 seems to address a similar issue, but that
changeset IS applied in RC3, and upon checking, there aren't any
reasons that I should be experiencing these problems.

Looking deeper, I found that when I look at the data character by
character using the ord() function, there are a number of characters
with the ASCII code 160 in the initial SQL query. These are the exact
same records that are having problems with displaying data in the
textarea field. If I copy the data from the field in phpMyAdmin,
delete the entire contents of that textarea field, paste the copied
text and update the row, suddenly the data will display correctly in
Cake. Likewise, it appears that phpMyAdmin converts character 160 to
ASCII character 32 upon updating.

Is there a method I can implement with the FormHelper to effectively
handle extended ASCII codes, or do I need to manipulate all of this
data as it's initially being loaded into the MySQL table?

(NOTE: The data that was loaded into the MySQL table was loaded from
an XLS file through a PHP script using the ExcelReader class, though
how the data was loaded isn't my real concern... how CakePHP handles
that data in the FormHelper is my first concern).

Thanks!

An additional note, though probably not necessary:
I have the following code set up to manage textarea elements across my
site:

// Previous code sets $data_value to the 'description' field from a
MySQL table $fieldname = 'Datavalue.description'; $params = array
('type'=>'textarea','cols'=>'60', 'rows'=>'10', 'label'=>'Desc');
if(isset($data_value))
  $params['value'] = $data_value;
echo "<div class=\"key\">".$this->Form->input($fieldname, $params)."</
div>";