All the recipes I've seen that use cast iron pans,are for dense, heavier cakes,
that have fruit, or are coffeecakes or poundcakes that take a long cooking time.

If you are looking for a layer cake that takes icing, cast iron is not what you
want.
Cast iron produces a thicker, heavier and darker crust, all the things you
don't want in a layer cake.
To make up your mind, just make layer cake recipe or a box of cake mix and try
it.  If it's to your liking, go for it.  If not, you have your answer, either
way....

Jean

iwalk4christdaily <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:                                  I
gues it can be done.. here is a recipie that uses a cast iron
 skillet.

 thanks again for all of your help

 --- In CAKE-RECIPE@yahoogroups.com, "c20s8" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > APPALACHIAN WEDDING CAKE
 > ********************************
 > 3/4 cup lard (shortening)
 > 1 cup black strap molasses
 > 1 cup sweet milk (raw)
 > 1/2 tsp. baking soda
 > 1 tsp. salt
 > 1 cup sugar
 > 3 eggs
 > 4 cups flour
 > 2 tsp. baking powder
 > 3 cups sweetened cooked dried apples
 >
 > Cook 1 1/2 dried apples in 2 cups water and 3/4 cup sugar until
 apples are
 > plumped back up and most of water is absorbed. Chop apples fine
 while in
 > cooking pot, until they resemble coarse applesauce.
 >
 > Mix together in medium bowl flour, salt, baking soda and baking
 powder.Cream
 > lard or shortening, then add sugar, a little at a time, beating
 well after
 > each addition.
 >
 > Add molasses to shortening and sugar, beat well. Add eggs, one at
 a time,
 > beating well after each addition. To this, add flour mixture and
 milk in
 > small amounts, alternately, and beat until smooth.
 >
 > Grease well a large cast iron skillet, well seasoned, and pour
 into this 1
 > cup of cake mixture. Smooth with back of spoon over bottom of
 skillet. Bake
 > on top of stove over medium-low heat, until bottom is lightly
 browned, and
 > top is puffy. Carefully, using two large metal spatulas, turn cake
 over and
 > cook top until lightly browned. Turn out cake onto dishtowel, and
 cover to
 > keep warm. Cook other layers until batter is used up.
 >
 > To assemble cake, place a layer of cake on platter, top with 1/2
 cup of
 > cooked apples, spread apples over top of cake to edges. Top with
 additional
 > cake layers and apples, and finish with apples on top.
 >
 > This cake was made for weddings back in the Appalachian Mountains,
 because
 > it could be carried to the wedding, and assembled on the spot. The
 bride's
 > popularity was measured by the number of cakes, and the number of
 stacks on
 > each cake.

 > Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.dee

 The greatness of a nation can be determined by how they treat their
animals....Ghandi

 "A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in,
what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different
because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this
earth."
 ~
 It's not an over-population problem;
it's an owner irresponsibility problem.
"STOP THE KILLING; BE A RESPONSIBLE OWNER;
TRAIN YOUR PET - KEEP YOUR PET"

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional