Benjamin Cronce <bcro...@gmail.com> writes:

> CAKE only works for endpoints you control. QUIC can benefit in
> situations where you don't control the chokepoints. Not sure how QUIC
> interacts with CAKE. I can't see it being more than a small percent
> better or worse.

It is not so much quic vs cake as the underlying congestion control
algorithm being used by quic - the codel component of cake works well
against cubic or reno, but BBR treats much of codel's signaling as
noise. The core benefit of cake (or fq_codel) against BBR is in the "FQ"
part which makes multiple flows share more equally, immediately.

There is a lot to QUIC to like, but much of the stuff innovated there
has migrated back into regular linux tcp stacks (pacing, notably)