On Sat, 21 Jul 2018, Jonathan Morton wrote:

An example of such a situation would be sparse flows in DRR++, which is a key part of fq_codel and Cake. So to implement DRR++ using timing wheels, you have to choose your scheduling horizon carefully so as to minimise the delay to sparse packets.

At the spring IETF, there was talk from IEEE person about using ethernet pause frames to get senders to stop talking for a while. My understanding was that this was on microsecond scale or even nanosecond time scales.

One of the mentions in the presentation was on slide 10 about "fat-buffered router". In the data center, these are kind of going away, because on-die memory is small and rates are high. A 64x100GE forwarding asic might have 16MB of buffer, which is very little buffer for the kind of bit rates we're talking here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJMvAqEQCBE 1h44m in (proposed IEEE 802.1Qcz work) is the one I am thinking of.

Wonder how this would interact with the timing wheel proposed by Van Jacobson?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se