> On Sep 11, 2018, at 9:54 AM, Sebastian Moeller <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> So this has turned info an interesting exercise that produced a result
>> counter to what the common wisdom has been (that fq_codel is “faster” than
>> cake
>
>       I believe the argument is more about htb+fq_codel versus cake instead
> of fq_codel versus cake, as it seems to be the shaper functionality that
> incurs the highest cost.

I sometimes loosely use fq_codel to mean htb+fq_codel.

>> It occurs to me that what I really want to know is the maximum set bitrate
>> for the shaper where it still appears to be behaving properly and
>> consistently, meaning, the actual measured TCP throughput is held steady,
>> and at the expected percentage less than the set bitrate. I first find this
>> out by setting a “comfortable” rate of 100Mbit and checking TCP throughput
>> with iperf3, which is typically around 5% less than the set bitrate.
>
>       So the expected values somewhat depend on the exact configuration, but
> over all the expected TCP/IPv4 goodput is calculated as follows (I assume you
> are well aware of that, but I believe this worth repeating to calibrate the
> expectancy):

Yes, it’s pretty much right on the money.

>> Then I increase the shaper’s bitrate 5Mbit at a time and re-run the test
>> until I find the last bitrate at which iperf3 reports a stable (within a few
>> percent) and correct rate over 10 seconds for several runs in a row. See the
>> attached iperf3 results for sample runs around the threshold rates.
>
>       Except for the 10 seconds this sounds reasonable, I would aim for at
> least 30, even tough this will be more important once you also monitor the
> latency under load concurrently to the bandwidth-probing flows…

I agree, so far I was just trying not to spend an all-nighter on it last night.
:) I was actually running 3-5 trials of ten seconds, also because sometimes
with fq_codel once it’s slightly above its limit, results would vary from run
to run.

>> cake nat dual-srchost / cake nat dual-dsthost ingress: 135 / 145
>
>       On your box is there actual NAT masquerading happening?

Yeah, good point, I left nat there because I had one port configured for
routing and the other for the bridge and was sometimes swapping between the
two. I realize now I actually sent the numbers for routing, not bridging.
Bridging without ‘nat’ looks a bit higher (155 Mbit for cake instead of 135
Mbit). I would re-do all these tests for completeness but I’m out of time now.

>       The last time we discussed the bust issue, I could not manage to see
> any difference with or without a specified burst, but I strongly believe I
> simply did not properly test. Btw, this is unidirectional shaping or with
> bidirectional saturation?

Unidirectional. I definitely see a difference, but I wonder what criteria we
(and I) used for “out of CPU’ in the past.

> <fq_codel_125.txt><fq_codel_130.txt><cake_135.txt><cake_140.txt>
>       I am quite curious about these files, but I seem incapable of
> downloading/opening them...

Ok, no more sending attachments to the list I see. If this link doesn’t work I
might be replacing a disk at the time… :)
https://www.heistp.net/downloads/erx-sqm.tgz