In my previous test the clients communicated to different flent
servers (flent-newark, flent-newark.bufferbloat.net). Iproute2 was
iproute2-ss4.18.0-4-openwrt. I will try to test on latest 4.20, will
take some time though.

I have the feeling we have discussed a similar issue in the past
(https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cake/2017-November/002985.html).
I understand what Jonathan says. However I cannot explain why
*without* bidirectional traffic the "dual- host" mode behaves like
"src/dst-host", but *with* bidirectional traffic it behaves like
"triple-isolate".

The cake instances on the two interfaces are separate, right? So what
happens on one interface should not influence the other. Even with
bidirectional traffic the "dual- host" mode should still behave like
the "src/dst-host" mode in terms of host fairness, or not? At least
this is what I would intuitively expect.