Hi Alison and SW;

  A few thoughts on the often-tricky process on introducing new dances.

  First, I second David Millstone's comment about trying them out at
  private get-togethers.  I've found that free food and drink always
  helps (but serve the alcohol after the dance).  Tape record
  everything, especially feedback after each dance.

  You can also get a group of 4 (or 8 if need be) together at the break
  of regular dance and walk one through.  This will give you practice
  teaching it and give you a feel for choreography, even if it isn't
  done with music.  Be careful on who is in the group.  My ideal group
  of four is me, another caller experienced at evaluating dances, and
  two average dancers.  I try not to have really good dancers in there -
  they can compensate for flaws in the choreography in ways lesser
  dancers cannot.

  Beyond that, the best way to get guinea pigs is to cultivate a home
  dance audience that is sympathetic to what you're trying to do.  But
  remember, they are there to dance and have fun, not be test subjects,
  so try new stuff in moderation.

  You can check whether a title has been used before using the excellent
  database by Michael Dyck at;

  [1]http://www.ibiblio.org/contradance/index/index.html

  There is no exhaustive database for the moves, however.  So if I come
  up with a dance I feel might have already been written, I will go
  through all the books and websites I can find.  I always start with
  Give and Take, then Zesty Contras, then the single author books and
  sites.  Yes, it's time consuming, especially since as I go through
  them I wind up collecting new dances.

  Another good way to check for new dances is simply dance a lot,
  especially to touring callers who are known to write and/or collect
  new stuff.  Over time, you'll notice the best dances are used by many
  callers, and chances are if yours doesn't come up it could be new.
  You may also be exposed to dances similar as yours, and see whether
  yours has something new and valuable to offer.

  When I started writing, I sent out untested dances, primarily because
  as a new caller I had limited opportunites to call.  But once I became
  established I stopped that practice as too risky, and now only send
  out ones I have tried once or preferably twice.  Once a dance is out
  there you can't take it back, and your reputation goes along with it.
  Rather than posting them here, you might be better served sharing them
  with a few active callers willing to try them first.

  There is also author psychology to consider.  When I started writing,
  I wrote dances I would like to dance.  However, as an experienced
  dancer this led me to writing a lot of fancy "dance camp-type" stuff,
  nearly all of which was garbage.  Of the first 30 or so attempts I
  made, I only use 1 of them.  Even today, about 70% of what I write
  never makes the floor.  Either I or someone else come up with
  something better, it has been written already, it is too complicated,
  or it has flaws that can't be fixed.  It is human nature to overrate
  one's material, and I found it important to develop the ability to be
  self-critical of my work.

  Many writers have favorite moves, but I find the best choreographers
  use all the common figures.  Instead of being trapped doing the same
  stuff in a different way, they are able to integrate a variety ideas
  and get the most out of them.  Again, this takes time and practice.  I
  really didn't feel comfortable doing this until after several years
  and dozens of attempts.

  Finally, and new dance needs a walkthrough and very often a new way to
  teach it.  Don't underestimate the need for very careful preparation.
  For any new dance I call of even moderate complexity, I write out the
  walkthrough whether it's mine or not.  Everything from "Hands four" to
  "this dance is such-and-such by so-and-so."  (I highly recommend this
  to new callers no matter what they are calling.)  After several
  revisions I really know the dance, have a concise script to work
  from, addressed issues like end effects and shadows, and perhaps find
  a way to inject a little humor.  It isn't as time consuming as it
  sounds - after writing some, you can block and copy to make
  others.  This is a excellent way to improve teaching skills, and
  avoids the fustration of seeing a potentially good dance being sunk by
  a bad walkthrough.

  I hope the above helps, and doesn't discourage anyone from taking a
  chance and trying something new.  Believe me, it is a really good
  feeling to contribute a good, new dance - it is a gift that keeps on
  giving.
  Bob Isaacs